EVE Online: Largest battle to date coming tomorrow

Brevi

EVE Online: Largest battle to date coming tomorrow
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »
I don't play EVE, but these mega battles and wars are interesting to read about.

Check this out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/7sa25p/after_15_years_eve_online_is_having_its_first/

... and for bonus, this is the (previously) largest war's events summed by Rock Paper Shotgun:

A War In Space: The Banker Who Gambled Everything And Brought Eve’s Greatest Empire To Its Knees
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/21/eve-online-world-war-bee-mittani/
^(O.o)^

Xaviz

Re: EVE Online: Largest battle to date coming tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 08:22:48 AM »
So what will actually happen?
In all likelihood? Nothing. And it’s at this point that I must reveal the reason for typing this post. You may be thinking, “Wow, EVE has a really engaged community for someone to take the time to type up a post like this”, but oh how naive you are. The purpose of this post is to point out that the fleet commanders on both sides of this battle are nothing but complete cowards.

I’ll tell you exactly what’s going to happen. The Mittani will hype his people up for hours, and the Moneybadger people will do the same. Then their fleet commanders will get their fleets onto the field of battle and place them into their “safe zones” that they’ve setup for themselves (it’s a dumb new game mechanic). Then, they will stare at each other for literally hours, and send out NPC drones that they barely control that mostly do nothing, while leaving all of their Titans in complete safety. They will then each make up a bunch of excuses, declare the other side as “cowardly” for not directly charging into their defensive position, and tell everyone to log off from the game. Don’t believe me? Everyone in EVE knows this, even the players involved in tomorrow’s battle. I’m serious, here was the top post on /r/eve for most of today from a group within the Imperium

Don’t let these people tell you it’s “the game’s fault that they can’t fight each other”, it’s no one’s fault but their own. I’m just hoping that both sides don’t end up staring at their computer screens for 8 hours tomorrow doing nothing, but that all depends on the fleet commanders.

lmao

Brevi

Re: EVE Online: Largest battle to date coming tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »
Hehe it's funny how real it is, no? :)

Neither fleet commander are willing to commit, because of how much of a disaster it would be to loose all Titans in a massive engagement. But then, maybe they never even intended to fight... maybe this is a ploy just to alter the game economy which is majorly affected by conflicts like this (even standoffs). Or maybe it is a publicity stunt of sorts. Then, there is also the chance that one of them will say... fuck it we are going all in. Who knows? ^^

Still very interesting. Apparently (at least on some level) the server technology was at fault.
They just could not handle 6000+ players in the same zone. So maybe next time then.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/24/16927594/eve-online-million-dollar-battle-results

Official video:

^(O.o)^