Guy remaking Diablo II: Lord of Destruction with modern gfx in Starcraft II mod

Morby

That looks actually pretty good. At least once you get some run speed, otherwise it looks like your character is running i slowmotion.

Brevi

After watching the videos a few times, I noticed all the flaws as well. I don't think such a project can be pulled off by one guy on a level that we are looking for. Still, respect for the author... it's not a bad idea. Maybe he will prove us wrong in the end.

I still don't understand why this is not a thing yet. Why are big companies not releasing old games that had great worlds and stories again with new graphics. It's not hard because the content is there, and you just need to update the visuals. Maybe fix a few notorious bugs. Honestly no idea.

Just have a smaller team that works on old games while you make new ones. How is that no profit? Imagine if Blizzard said they are going to release Diablo I & II again with better graphics then Diablo III. Their sales would explode.
^(O.o)^

Morby

True that. I would definitely buy some of them, especially Diablo and D2. But I'm pretty sure alot of people would whine about the prices and how they are milking and re-releasing old games. :)

Brevi

alot of people would whine about the prices and how they are milking and re-releasing old games. :)

That's true and rightfully so, but there is an awful lot of 'reinventing the wheel' in modern games. We have these few old classics that really managed to hit all the notes in their area... and when they try to make a new one: they completely fail at understanding what made the original so great. Even the classic game's developers often don't know what made their game great because sometimes it was sheer random luck that the important design decisions went a certain way.

Also fair comparison to say... how do you make chess 2.0? When a game system is great, just leave it at that.
^(O.o)^

Melrax

That's true and rightfully so, but there is an awful lot of 'reinventing the wheel' in modern games. We have these few old classics that really managed to hit all the notes in their area... and when they try to make a new one: they completely fail at understanding what made the original so great. Even the classic game's developers often don't know what made their game great because sometimes it was sheer random luck that the important design decisions went a certain way.

So much this. I would even say that not only do they not understand why those game were good but they likely don't care either. It's just about grabbing any old franchise to cash in on the old school market while making a game that conforms to EA's or whoeverthefuck's production line that pushes out games yearly with pretty graphics and not much more. It's probably the most cost efficient advertisement you can get... even if most people never played the originals, all the gaming magazines and blogs will write a million articles about the return of the best ever franchise without the publisher having to lift a finger. There are some good ones like XCOM... but somehow even the best reboots seem to end up with less features or shallower gameplay.

Brevi

I will totally play this. lol
Quest Pack 1 Release Date: 2016. October 14.

You can pay the guy here to make moar:
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2885655
(Legit considering a low tier.)

^(O.o)^

Brevi

Whoa!

^(O.o)^

Brevi

^(O.o)^