Quake Champions

Xaviz

Re: Quake Champions Trailer
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 07:26:51 PM »
Whoever thought wallhack as an ability was a good idea needs to be put down. Then again, Overwatch also has aimbot as an ability. Wouldn't want to make it too difficult for people in a game where you aim!

Xaviz

Re: Quake Champions Trailer (E3)
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 12:26:11 AM »
blinking, map wide wallhacks, teleport orb, charge ability and I guess many more things are shown off in the new gameplay trailer. I really don't see the point of this game now that Diabotical is taking the same concept and by the looks of it, executing it much better for e-sport and competitive players. This looks like Doom multiplayer with rocket jumps and Overwatch abilities.

Morby

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »

I think the gameplay looks better than expected tbh. I get alot of good quake vibes from the video like the pace & flow, the weapons and the maps. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with some servers which completely disable champion special abilities or at least restrictions like no wallhack champion in 1v1 deathmatches.

Xaviz

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 03:00:34 PM »
There will be a classic mode, but clearly that's not what's being supporter or promoted for competitive play. So one of two things will happen - either classic becomes pointless and nobody plays it because you can't gain anything from it due to ranked and competitive mode uses abilities. Or people will figure out how dumb wallhacks, teleports and blinks are, and demand the game changes to classic settings for everything.

Blizzard refused to enforce a 1 hero limit to Overwatch for a long time. However after the constant whine from the casual and pro playerbase, they finally caved in and changed so you couldn't stack heroes anymore in ranked games. Funny thing is, nobody wants to play casual games anymore because people just stack heroes in those, and it's absolutely the most obnoxious shit to play against, and given that you don't really gain anything from casual that you wouldn't otherwise get from competitive, casual is dying.

I'm sure we'll see this take place in Quake. As for which side will win, I can only hope the one without wallhacks. I don't think people realize how dumb of an ability that truly is. I play with it constantly in Overwatch and I'm disgusted as I just line up shots as I track people on their way around a corner. It's impossible to miss. Plus they say it's a skilled based FPS, but how can that be when there's rock-paper-scissor balancing going on? And if you don't believe me, how can there not be with all those abilities? People will find the best hero for the majority of the time, and pick those. I mean that ball teleporter looked cool, but who in their right mind would use that over wallhack or blink? Same deal with the charge ability. I just don't get why they force this bullshit on the game.

Morby

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 10:42:35 PM »
There will be a classic mode, but clearly that's not what's being supporter or promoted for competitive play. So one of two things will happen - either classic becomes pointless and nobody plays it because you can't gain anything from it due to ranked and competitive mode uses abilities. Or people will figure out how dumb wallhacks, teleports and blinks are, and demand the game changes to classic settings for everything.

Blizzard refused to enforce a 1 hero limit to Overwatch for a long time. However after the constant whine from the casual and pro playerbase, they finally caved in and changed so you couldn't stack heroes anymore in ranked games. Funny thing is, nobody wants to play casual games anymore because people just stack heroes in those, and it's absolutely the most obnoxious shit to play against, and given that you don't really gain anything from casual that you wouldn't otherwise get from competitive, casual is dying.

I'm sure we'll see this take place in Quake. As for which side will win, I can only hope the one without wallhacks. I don't think people realize how dumb of an ability that truly is. I play with it constantly in Overwatch and I'm disgusted as I just line up shots as I track people on their way around a corner. It's impossible to miss. Plus they say it's a skilled based FPS, but how can that be when there's rock-paper-scissor balancing going on? And if you don't believe me, how can there not be with all those abilities? People will find the best hero for the majority of the time, and pick those. I mean that ball teleporter looked cool, but who in their right mind would use that over wallhack or blink? Same deal with the charge ability. I just don't get why they force this bullshit on the game.

I see where you're comming from. Well, that kind of sucks tbh. >_<

Xaviz

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 08:03:35 AM »

''Well that's the rocket launcher you can only get to if you use the teleport (talking about the ability)''

I'm so fucking done right now LOL.

Xaviz

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »

hahahahahaha

Xaviz

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 02:31:58 AM »

1 minute and 37 seconds into the interview.

Brevi

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
^(O.o)^

Brevi

Re: Quake Champions
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »
^(O.o)^

Brevi

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
This gameplay does sort of look like proper Quake... hmm.

^(O.o)^

Brevi

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
Oh my fucking god what is this disgusting shit. I really hate this trailer...

^(O.o)^

Brevi

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 10:10:54 PM »
Gameplay is painful to watch, but here's some footage for those cba to check the beta themselves (like me).
The game just doesn't interest me... the things I like are from Quake 3 Arena. I could play Quake 3 Arena if I wanted to, but I don't.
The new stuff seems to be cannibalized content from Overwatch and I don't like it. Not much else to say.

^(O.o)^

Brevi

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »
A few more thoughts besides my original 'bla bla I don't like Quake Champions'.

I think these are the main challenges of making a competitive arena shooter that doesn't suck:

- Community. Most internet communities nowadays are toxic as fuck. If you are going for a competitive arena game, one of your number one challenges will be to create an environment that promotes a healthy community. Stuff that may help: dedicated servers, community created content (tournaments, maps, mods etc...), fun modes (defrag, instagib, practice vs bots, etc..), player coaching, beginner friendly matchmaking, beginner friendly tutorials.

- Dedicated servers. If you have random matchmaking & you play with people you will never ever meet again, players tend to behave like absolute dirtbags because there are no consequences to doing exactly that. However, if there are long standing dedicated servers that are hosted by communities and are properly moderated... then suddenly being a toxic asshole is not so rewarding. Dedicated servers can also help to have better pings, local tournaments and so on.

- Netcode & engine. The game needs to run in a stable manner even on garbage PCs and garbage internet. Solid netcode and the ability to reduce the graphics to the ground.

- Hitboxes. This connects to balance, but yeah. You want simplified and stable hitboxes that work well for the various weapon projectiles.

- Balance.

- Anti-Cheat. More on the long term. The less cheaters the better.

Honestly, which one of these points is being done well by Quake Champions? The balance is out of the picture right away with the bullshit champion system which is clearly visible in the beta. Hitboxes & netcode are also known issues in the beta. The engine should be mostly alright, but to be competitive you will likely need top of the line hardware. No bots. No dedicated servers. No map editor. No mod support.

I will rather follow the Diabotical game. I don't see how this game will survive longer then a month or two.
^(O.o)^

Gigamo

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »
Pretty sure QC will be dead after QuakeCon, simply depends how much money idsoft/zenimax feels like injecting into something doomed to fail. If only they spent their time and money actually building competitive/community QL features instead...