Battalion 1944 - Announcement Trailer

Xaviz

Battalion 1944 - Announcement Trailer
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:45:52 PM »

This is a new kickstarter project targeting oldschool shooter fans. I absolutely love what I see, but the fact they're wanting to bring this to consoles as well as PC is a big red flag.

The next problem is when the developer says that old school FPS took raw skill to master and didn't rely much on time played. Possibly the most idiotic statement in quite some time. It appears he doesn't understand how the more hours you put into something the better you get. I'm half wondering why I'm even bothering to post this fucking thing as I'm typing this, but fuck me this does look good and the part about good netcode, anti-cheat and oldschool FPS feel makes me want to follow it at the very least to see how it ends up. Plus it's going on early access eventually, so perhaps it'll be worth playing at that point. Probably not. Fuck everything.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bulkheadinteractive/battalion-1944-pc-xb1-ps4

Brevi

Re: Battalion 1944 - Announcement Trailer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »
When I've seen that it's a second world war shooter it put a smile on my face. I would like to play a fun skill based shooter in the WW2 era.

I didn't like that they emphasized Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, but not Wolfenstein & Enemy Territory (was mentioned once I believe).
Enemy Territory won tons of best multiplayer game awards and had a very lively community with massive clanbase leagues, cups, national teams and the like.
Also ET was THE shooter for me!  ;)

As you also wrote there are some red flags.
- Kickstarter. To my experience only a handful of projects succeeded in what they promised. Kickstarter projects also tangle themselves up with a lot of silly shit like delivering all the random backer rewards, putting tons of people's name in the Credits, painting statues of them. You get the idea.
- Console release. Yep... like you said, big negative. They will have to put in serious time to optimize for consoles as it will be a major source of income for them. How good will the PC version be?
- Pre Alpha footage, Closed Alpha, Closed Beta, Early Access. I would much rather prefer a game that release straight away and have only internal testing. Early Access is cancer.
^(O.o)^

Xaviz

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:04:56 PM »

Looks incredible for people that like competitive FPS. I've followed the development more or less since kickstarter and I haven't seen anything close to this level since CSGO.

Question remains if it will have any longevity or if it will be some short lived nostalgia fun that people get over in a couple months.

Either way there's a beta to sign up for and EA coming in february, so it won't be long until I can try it out myself.

Brevi

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
I think I will wait to hear your opinion of the game after you tried it. The idea of a WW2 shooter with quality mechanics, solid engine and competitive level netcode perhaps could be cool.

Wolfenstein, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault were all id Tech 3 engine games which is basically Quake III Arena's engine. I wonder how much of the success of these games was in fact powered by this fact.

First of all, Quake's engine was state of the art at the time. It's not too far off to say it is perhaps the best game engine of all times. Then, you had all the time to focus on the gameplay, the mechanics instead of spending heavily into developing your own game engine, the netcode and so on.

Then, there is also the case where these games... even with all their new shiny parts were a little bit still re-skinned Quake II Arena shooters which contributed to them being 'competitive, fast and skill based.

As the development of the above series progressed, they went further and further away from the Quake engine roots in favor of more 'realistic visuals and mechanics' that often came with major drawbacks (bunny hopping scrapped, movement speeds reduced heavily, randomly firing weapons aka bullet spread, aim down the sight which is basically just further movement speed reduction, cover mechanics).

In the end, we got the twitch shooter, which is what it is.
I don't know...
^(O.o)^